Bonjour! Bienvenue to getting to know me, and thanks for stopping by!
1. My first kiss was completely awkward. It was middle school; we both had braces, and my cousin was proudly boasting that she had “made out” for thirty whole seconds with her boyfriend. She wanted to see if we could beat her record. I think, in retrospect, she was appealing to my competitive side to goad me into kissing a boy at all. I was terrified he would try to stick his tongue down my throat, so I kept giggling as he pressed his closed lips against mine. I never made it past 10 seconds and conceded victory. I didn’t want to win at this.
2. My favorite first love song was “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith. Perfect definition of preteen cheesy romance.
3. I can’t start writing without my coffee, which is an absolute cliché. I know. But it’s true. Once I take that first sip I can dive right into whatever I’m working on.
4. Which author inspired me to become a writer? That’s tough, simply because at age 6 it was my first dream that never died. A middle school teacher gave me the courage to believe this dream could become a reality. But I would have to say the two authors (I know I’m cheating) who I’ve learned the most from would be Orson Scott Card and Eiji Yoshikawa. Their work, for me, was life changing.
5. My first chapter had completely changed by my final revision, thanks to my husband. He actually loved the book but hated the beginning. My inner critique agreed, so I added an action packed prologue that also provides critical information without feeling like an info-dump. I also reorganized my first chapter to have a smoother flow.
6. Which came first, characters, plot, or setting? That’s impossible to choose because it was all synonymous for me. As a kid, I made up a game, pretending giants were chasing kids to make them slaves. I wanted to turn this primitive concept into a novel. Also, my brother Bixby passed away as a child, and I wanted to base my MC off what I knew of him, which in turn inspired the entire concept of my first novel. Kids die and go to planet Centerra where they have magic, and giants hunt them for it. So for me, plot, setting, and character jumbled together at once when I got the idea, and I fleshed out details from there.
7. The first word I hope will be used to describe my writing: intrepid.
I look forward to getting to know the rest of you:)
<!– start LinkyTools script –><p><b>Powered by Linky Tools</b></p><p><a href=”http://www.linkytools.com/wordpress_list.aspx?id=229928&type=basic”>Click here</a> to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…</p><!– end LinkyTools script –>